7 Ways to Feel Comfortable in Front of the Camera | Posing for Professional Photos
One of the most common things I’m told as we start a photo session is that they’ve never done this before and they’re going to need my help with posing. Well, I’m here to tell you, that’s why you hired a professional! No matter if it’s your first time in front of a camera or your twentieth, here are a couple tips to making yourself feel right at home!
1. Don’t panic. Your photographer is with you throughout this whole process, and they will know what poses will be flattering and which ones won’t.
2. Wear clothing that makes you feel your best. When you feel comfortable, you’ll look comfortable, too. For example, choosing a dress that hugs every curve may make you feel the need to “suck it in” the whole time. A flowing dress shows movement and can be just as flattering.
3. Don’t feel like you have to pose the whole time, sometimes the best photos are of those in between moments, where you whisper a joke into your partners ear and you both start laughing. You don’t have to stare into the camera at all times.
4. Grab a cup of coffee (or a mimosa) with your partner beforehand – maybe even invite your photographer to join! You guys can get comfortable with each other and lighten the mood which can make it feel like more of a hangout than a photo session.
5. Get your hair and makeup done! There’s no excuse better than photos that’ll last a lifetime.
6. Keep your hands busy. A limp hand is an obvious hand. If you place it in the hand of your partner, or on their chest lightly as you lean in for a kiss, it’s going to look much more natural and more comfortable than it hanging loosely at your side. Side note: skinny girl arm is reserved for sorority poses and not professional photos!
7. Don’t take it too seriously, this should be a fun experience!