Wilmington NC Wedding Photographer | What to Wear for Your Engagement Pictures
Well, it’s definitely engagement season!! After booking your photographer for the big day, it’s time to start thinking about your engagement portraits. Choosing what to wear for those can really change the entire look and feel of your photos. I find that one of the most common questions I get is “What do we wear?!” Well, these pictures should be a fun and a slightly less formal version of your wedding day photos. So how do you chose? Here are a few simple tips to make your decision a little easier:
– Keep it to 2 outfits total. A lot of times, we’re out photographing in a random setting by a beach or park with no bathrooms nearby, and you’ll end up awkwardly changing in your car, so switching outfits just once will save a lot of time and hassle. This also gives you the opportunity to have two different looks: one can be more casual (more “you”) and one a little dressier.
– Wear something that you feel GREAT in! If you feel your best, you will look your best.
– Avoid bright neon colors or shirts with words on them. I can’t tell you enough how DISTRACTING words are in photos, your eyes naturally gravitate to that instead of the image itself and the people in it. But this doesn’t mean you should be afraid to be bold – bold is great! I love outfits that stand out and make a statement.
– Think of your location: match your clothing to that style. Working downtown? Personally I love a crisp and classic outfit paired with an urban background. Going to the beach? Ditch the shoes (especially the heels) and roll up the pant legs. Also, a flowing maxi dress would look gorgeous with the wind at the beach.
– Need something more specific? One of my favorite options is a cocktail dress for the ladies and a nice suit or patterned button down for the gentlemen. Doing this classic combination is great for Save The Date’s and it keeps it classy.
– Not a dress person? That’s okay! Try something different like a patterned romper or a vibrant top.
– Accessorize! Adding in little things like a floral crown or a straw hat can really add a fun touch to stand out and make your images more playful. Bring a cute blanket to sit on at the beach, a patterned shall to cover your shoulders in the winter.
– Most importantly – HAVE FUN AND BE YOU!